Subscribe by Email

Thursday, June 13, 2013

When Fantasy Overrides Reality

Zaka

"Be like the others Zak, you don't have an alien DNA. Come out of your fantasy"....
Dangling my legs off the edge, I was sitting on the bridge - humming(I guess I'll die another day, It's not my time to go)  with an addled mind - Mind that was busy unweaving. Figuring out what has long been left to jumble up.
"Who the heck are you", I snapped back without looking.
I heard footsteps first. Saw a shadow on the railing then. And then, saw 'em. he sat beside me.

"Cool place huh?" mused he.
"Gosh...! are you kidding me? you can't be real"....
"I think I am"...
"Like for real?? oh man I can't believe this". I touched his face and hair - fearing as if he was a ghost that would vanish with the winds.
"Why can't I be real?", he smirked.
"Coz you're exactly like me man. Mind you, I don't have a twin brother", I gasped. "Stranger! I've never seen anything like this before and this seems...."
"But it's a huge world out there", he cut me short. His face remained expressionless though.
"Yeah...! huge frigging world, that's the problem"... I took a deep breath, filled my lungs to the limit and then exhaled it audibly".
"God my eyes are burning, there's so much salt in this howling winds", I mused with a quick glance towards 'em. I was still incredulous.

Listless as he was, he just gazed at the horizon as if there was something in the clouds. It was nothing there, albeit I could almost smell the rain.

"So who are you and how did you get to know me?"....
"I am you Zak'....
"Hey.... you're feakin' me out"....
"Nope, I ain't", He chimed in.......
"f*****", My patience wore thin....
"What? are you for real?, as if being my doppelganger wasn't eerie enough, now you're pretending to be me".... I retorted.
"Nope, I'm not pretending, I am you. You just need to calm down a bit. It is not that hard to understand if you want to"....
"Calm down huh? a stranger came from nowhere, ruined my evening and telling me to be cool", I hissed.

We remained quiet for few minutes.
"So, you have nothing to ask", he smirked.
"This sounds like a question", I sighed.
"Well, it is a question", he grinned.
"You'll understand me when we're done with this - perhaps an awkward meeting. and..."
"Can't you just stop baffling me", I almost cried.
"Okay..! you wanna know why I resemble you? Because I'm you. You talk to me all the time. It's kinda paradox... C'm on lets have a stroll. I love this suspension bridge, don't you?".
I stood quietly and started to trudge with 'em as if I was hypnotized.
"I'm always with you when you're alone"...
"But that is a figment of my imagination"...
"Yeah, I'm that same imagination, just took a tad different shape"...
"What? you mean dreaming"..
"Yup"....
"WTH, what is it? Control dreaming like they do in Inception??? I loved that movie by the way. I gotta tell you something, I hardly dream. I often have dreamless sleep. That maybe one reason I daydream a lot"... I laughed knowing that how stupid it sounds.

"I know that right. You imagined me but somehow I've become real and now felt compelled to tell you that this thing doesn't get you anywhere. You have to kill me to get out of this utopia of yours. There's no such thing as Neverland. It's all in your head Zak"...
"Hey you", shouted I "you can go to hell"...
He laughed as the dusk took over the dying light.
"I know you ain't ready for this", he whispered.
"Whatever"... I shrugged "But I don't wanna see you again in my dreams"....
"That's exactly what I'm talkin' about. You have to get rid of me and move on with your life"....
"Or I can jump off this bridge and as you say I'm dreaming. I'll wake up, and you won't be there"... I snapped my eyes open, looking down at the choppy water. "This all seems a bit absurd for a dream but anyway if this was real and I jumped, would I survive?"
He looked down and grinned, "A clean dive perhaps"....

And then something happened - perhaps an earthquake. The bridge trembled and then collapsed into the sea.
"Somebody help me", I woke up as I shrieked in the ice cold water."
"Whoa! that was a dream", I felt numb."A really weird one", I whispered while rubbing my eyes.
"What time is it? god I'm so thirsty, my throat is a spit-less dry desert", I said as if I was still talking to that weird chap.
I came downstairs and smeared my throat with water. Somehow I didn't feel like going back to sleep. So I sat in the kitchen. I couldn't help thinking of that dream. In fact it triggered a soul searching journey. Isn't it a little bit of nightmare to meet oneself with no warning?

3 comments:

  1. Since you haven't thrown in the towel yet, it's always there to dry yourself after the fall...
    It is at times akward. Aspecially without a warning. But I do wish for you that the 'you' in you sees the gems in you too and make your tears of mourning sink beneath the sink beneath the sun.... While humming this one I think to myself: "Your writings always set me of thinking." Thanks again for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you haven't thrown in the towel yet, it's always there to dry yourself after the fall...
    It is at times akward. Aspecially without a warning. But I do wish for you that the 'you' in you sees the gems in you too and make your tears of mourning sink beneath the sink beneath the sun.... While humming this one I think to myself: "Your writings always set me of thinking." Thanks again for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete